Service of Environmental Health in Madrid
- Pollutans and airborne pollen are one of the main factors that affect to the health of citizens nowadays. These particulates represent a big threat to respiratory health by increasing exposure to respiratory diseases or by directly aggravating respiratory diseases.
- Elder people and children are the most affected strata in our industrialised society, but they are not the only ones. Healthy people are also affected in the daily life, increasing the risk of developing breathing illness.
- To minimize the effects of pollution and pollen the first action we should take is to reduce the exposure to them. Service for Environmental Health will offer real time information about the levels of pollution and pollen and their distribution into Madrid City.
- By deploying a new network of environmental sensors deployed over the buses of the Municipal Transport Company (EMT), that go across the city, it will be possible to increase the number of geographical points where measures are taken with a little number of sensors.
- These new sensors, combined with the already deployed environmental network of sensors of Madrid Region and Madrid City Council, will feed to iKaaS system with data, in it will make possible to provide real-time information to citizens and through Big Data analysis capabilities of iKaaS build a new source of knowledge about pollution, pollen "and" citizens, "for" citizens.
- “And” because it will be possible also to monitor how people move across the city by using, for instance, smart phones, and know if people take into account the new information provided.
- “For” because it will provide more information which will be more precise than the one it is currently provided to citizens.
- This use case aims to significantly improve the information that citizens have about pollution and pollen across the city in order to minimize the exposure to them and their negative effects on the health.
- Giving more precise information to people gives also the opportunity of schedule the movements across the city at that times in which the pollution and pollen concentration levels are lower, or program a different route in order to avoid those places where these particulates have a greater concentration.